Volunteering is a great opportunity to learn more, gain experience, connect with other volunteers and the community, and make a difference in the health of Puget Sound through education. We are always looking enthusiastic people to add to our team! Take a moment to review the opportunities below, and discover how you can be a part of SSEA as a volunteer!
Volunteer interest forms are available HERE.
All volunteers are required complete and submit a signed WSP Background Check Form.
- Estuarium- Come volunteer with us on the weekend and show off your knowledge about the animals in our tanks! Don’t have any experience with estuary animals? No problem! We provide on-the-job training and you will be an expert in no time. Volunteering during Estuarium open hours is not only fun, but it’s an excellent way to find out all that SSEA has to offer. Volunteers ages 14 and up are welcome!
- Beach Naturalist with “Meet the Beach”- Our extremely popular Summer program, “Meet the Beach,” utilizes trained beach naturalists to help people better understand everything that lives in an estuarine intertidal habitat. Our volunteer beach naturalists walk the beaches of local state parks during low tides, encouraging people to look a little closer and discover things they never knew were there! Some training to be a beach naturalist will be required.
- Ambassadors- Help us greet the public and assist at events such as SSEA’s popular Discovery Speaker Series, Pier Peer, and Songs for SSEA benefit concert. We love having outgoing, engaging volunteers to make our program attendees feel welcome at our events. If you love people, being a volunteer ambassador is right up your alley!
- Development Team- Have experience with grant writing, fundraising, or event planning? SSEA needs you! Development team volunteers meet once a month to brainstorm ways to grow and develop SSEA so that we can share our love of the Puget Sound ecosystem with as many people as possible. No experience? That’s ok! All you need to participate in the development team is the ability to learn how to contribute to and follow through on developing projects that benefit SSEA.
- Education Team- Our fantastic education team is a vital part of SSEA’s success. Education team volunteers develop curriculum for our grant-funded school programs such as our highly praised “On the Water” and “Estuary Life and Landforms” public school programs. Education team members also assist with summer camp programs through the Estuarium, school visits, and provide educational support for our staff during events like Pier Peer and SSEA’s Turn of the Tides festival. Our educators are very versatile- we teach all ages about estuarine environments, not just kids!
- Marketing Team- If you have a flair for Facebook, or are a titan of Twitter, then consider joining the marketing team! We are looking for people interested in helping us maintain our social media platforms, as well as growing our presence beyond Facebook. The marketing team also welcomes graphic designers, web developers, writers, and people who are generally interested in spreading the word about SSEA and our programs.
- Connecting with the Community- SSEA often participates in community events such as Lake Fair, Arts Walk, Harbor Days, and more. Community outreach volunteers help SSEA staff run our information and activity booths, distribute flyers, and just generally put a smiling face out there for people who are interested in learning more about our organization. Community outreach volunteers are often the first impression that the public gets when discovering more about SSEA and our mission.
Once you complete a Volunteer Application and have been assigned to activities, you can access the SSEA Volunteer Center, to log volunteer hours, update your application, change your password, and more. Thank you for considering volunteering with SSEA!