The Estuarium offers extensive education programing in a variety of estuary and marine topics for PreK through grade 12. Our programs offer students unique hands-on activities and are linked to the STEM standards, Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and Ocean Literacy Frameworks.
To request a field trip, complete the Field Trip Request Form by clicking HERE and return to Education@SSEAcenter.org. To ensure quality programs, scheduling must be completed three or more weeks before the actual program date.
Experience one-of-a-kind private field trips at our Estuarium location in downtown Olympia. Our customized programs include exhibit time and hands-on activities to instill a greater appreciation for our unique estuary environment of Puget Sound, and promote sustainable behavior.
Program Length: 90 minutes
Grade Range: PreK-12th
- Estuary Life (PreK-2nd grade)
- Activities: Story Board & Craft
- Food Chain & Plankton (3rd-5th grade)
- Activity: Microscope
- Stormwater (3rd-5th grade)
- Activity: Enviroscape model
- Oceanography (6th-8th grade)
- Activities: Density Flow model, Tides Tables & water quality testing
- Marine Biodiversity (6th-8th grade)
- Activity: classification of tank animals
- Human Impacts (9th-12th grade)
- Activity: Ocean Acidification experiment & Biomagnification game
- $100 for up to 10 students
- $150 for 11-30 students
Can’t make it to the Puget Sound Estuarium for an on-site program? Bring the Puget Sound Estuarium to you! Additional fees will apply. Contact the Education Coordinator at Education@SSEAcenter.org for more information.
MEET THE BEACH K-12
Visit a local beach during low tide! Students will explore and enjoy the diverse marine life and participate in educator-led activities focusing on the intertidal zone.
Program Length: 90 minutes
Grade Range: K-12th
Maximum # of students: 50
Please contact Education@SSEAcenter.org for a list of low tide dates and times.
SCHOOL ESTUARY KITS
The Puget Sound Estuarium is excited to pilot twenty estuary themed kits for grades 6th-8th starting Fall 2018. All kits include enough materials for a group of 30 students and the content is designed for age appropriate learning. The School Estuary Kits support current educational standards (Next Generation Science Standards, STEM Literacy and Estuary Principles & Concepts).
Please visit the school estuary kit page for more information.
- The Puget Sound Estuarium can accommodate single-day or multi-day field trip programs.
- To ensure quality programs, scheduling must be completed three or more weeks before the actual program date.
- Most programs accommodate a maximum of 30 students, plus teachers/chaperones.
- We can normally accommodate 1 group (sometimes 2) at a time.
- Large groups or groups with longer visits have additional fees.
- We recommend a minimum of 1 adult chaperone/teacher for every 5 students for PreK—2nd grade and a minimum of 1 adult chaperone/teacher for every 10 students for grades 3rd-12.
- Cancellation policy: Scheduled field trips can be cancelled free of charge until two weeks prior to your scheduled date. A $50 cancellation fee will occur if the scheduled field trip is cancelled within two weeks of your scheduled date.
For questions, further details, or to schedule a program, please click HERE to find the Group Reservation Form or contact our Education Coordinator at Education@SSEAcenter.org.