The Estuarium offers extensive education programming in a variety of estuary and marine topics for PreK through grade 12. Our programs offer students unique hands-on activities and are linked to the STEM standards, Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and Ocean Literacy Frameworks.
To request a field trip, complete the Field Trip Request Form by clicking HERE and return to our Education Coordinator. To ensure quality programs, scheduling must be completed three or more weeks before the actual program date.
Experience one-of-a-kind private field trips at our Estuarium location in downtown Olympia. Our customized programs include exhibit time and hands-on activities to instill a greater appreciation for our unique estuary environment of Puget Sound, and promote sustainable behavior.
Program Length: 90 minutes
Grade Range: PreK-12th
- Estuary Life (PreK-2nd grade)
- Activities: Story Board & Craft
- Food Chain & Plankton (3rd-5th grade)
- Activity: Microscope
- Stormwater (3rd-5th grade)
- Activity: Enviroscape model
- Oceanography (6th-8th grade)
- Activities: Density Flow model, Tides Tables & water quality testing
- Marine Biodiversity (6th-8th grade)
- Activity: classification of tank animals
- Human Impacts (9th-12th grade)
- Activity: Ocean Acidification experiment & Biomagnification game
- $100 for up to 10 students
- $150 for 11-30 students
Can’t make it to the Puget Sound Estuarium for an on-site program? Bring the Puget Sound Estuarium to you! Additional fees will apply. Contact our Education Coordinator for more information.
MEET THE BEACH K-12
Visit a local beach during low tide! Students will explore and enjoy the diverse marine life and participate in educator-led activities focusing on the intertidal zone.
Program Length: 90 minutes
Grade Range: K-12th
Maximum # of students: 50
Please contact Education@SSEAcenter.org for a list of low tide dates and times.
SCHOOL ESTUARY KITS
The Puget Sound Estuarium is excited to pilot twenty estuary themed kits for grades 6th-8th starting Fall 2018. All kits include enough materials for a group of 30 students and the content is designed for age appropriate learning. The School Estuary Kits support current educational standards (Next Generation Science Standards, STEM Literacy and Estuary Principles & Concepts).
Please visit the school estuary kit page for more information.
- The Puget Sound Estuarium can accommodate single-day or multi-day field trip programs.
- To ensure quality programs, scheduling must be completed three or more weeks before the actual program date.
- Most programs accommodate a maximum of 30 students, plus teachers/chaperones.
- We can normally accommodate 1 group (sometimes 2) at a time.
- Large groups or groups with longer visits have additional fees.
- We recommend a minimum of 1 adult chaperone/teacher for every 5 students for PreK—2nd grade and a minimum of 1 adult chaperone/teacher for every 10 students for grades 3rd-12.
- Cancellation policy: Scheduled field trips can be cancelled free of charge until two weeks prior to your scheduled date. A $50 cancellation fee will occur if the scheduled field trip is cancelled within two weeks of your scheduled date.