The Puget Sound Estuarium was founded by the South Sound Estuary Association (SSEA) in 2007. We encourage community members to EXPLORE animals and plants in their local estuaries, where freshwater and saltwater meet. We CONNECT people of all ages to what is unique about this delicate, vibrant ecosystem. Our educational opportunities INSPIRE individuals to take better care of our shared natural resources.
In 2010, we were granted federal 501 (c) (3) status and has been registered since 2007 as a non-profit corporation with Washington Secretary of State. South Sound Estuary Association (SSEA) DBA Puget Sound Estuarium is also registered as a Washington state charity.
Our mission is to foster learning opportunities that inspire people of all ages to connect with, protect, and enjoy the unique estuary environment of Puget Sound.
An educated community that is engaged and inspired to promote the ongoing health, conservation, and restoration of south Puget Sound.
- The Puget Sound Estuarium – a marine life discovery center, with saltwater aquariums, interactive learning, and rotating exhibits
- Meet the Beach – an on the beach interpretation by community volunteers showcasing intertidal life, offered at local beaches during summer low tides
- Pier Peer – an exciting event at Boston Harbor Marina, featuring night time underwater viewing of marine life
- K-12 Education – incorporates Meet the Beach, Estuarium, On the Water, as well as Estuary Life and Landforms components to connect our youth with Puget Sound marine environments and estuaries
- Connecting the Community – includes educational booths and presentations at local events, festivals/fairs and serve groups/clubs
- Provide high quality educational opportunities
- Provide an exceptional interpretive center in Olympia, WA
- Respect, protect and help conserve the environment
- Provide educational content that focuses on the challenges and successes in the restoration and protection of the Puget Sound
- Enhance access and knowledge of parenting organizations and the programs and services they provide
- Engage and inspire the community through interactive education
- Facilitate opportunities for direct involvement